[Talk-GB] Mapping project & parties in Sutton, SW London

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:36:56 GMT 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 9:07 AM, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 00:12:23 +0000, "Thomas Wood"
>
> <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> be

> >> I'll be back in the area for Easter, but was planning on focusing
>
> >> finishing Hampton/Twickenham.
>
> >> Are there buses from Kingston (takes me 10-30mins to get there)? I might
>
> be
>
> >> up for doing a few days, if there was a mini-mapping-event, or something
>
> >> might persuade me.
>

> > Living in the borough, I'd hope to get as much finished asap, I've got
>
> > half term coming up soon - I hope to make a big dent in the blank
>
> > areas with at least 5 days of solid mapping.
>

> Great! There doesn't look to be all that much of Sutton missing so it would
>
> be good to plan how to do the rest after that mapping binge.
>

> > I'll update the wikiproject sutton/london pages with my progress from
>
> > last month.
>

> Thanks.
>

> > I'll also add as an aside that someone has recently added in the
>
> > southern greater london boundary fairly inaccurately, this is just a
>
> > note to self to fixup the sections with sutton.
>

> Jolly good, we also need to put in the Sutton boundary, which I suppose
>
> will be a day of wiggling around the rough area looking for the signposts.

The Sutton / Croydon boundary is partly complete from my recent
mapping of this area. I just need to join the unknowns - I'll probably
trace boundaries from Yahoo.

> I've still not worked out a good way of finding out the ward boundaries,
>
> the council won't give them to me because they're all derived from OS data.
>
> Short of asking every resident which ward they're in, or just copying them,
>
> I don't know what to do. It seems a bit ridiculous that we'd actually cause
>
> a problem by getting the council's data on electoral boundaries, which
>
> happens to be drawn on OS maps!
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Tom

Ward and electoral boundaries are a pain - you noted that auditors are
doing door-to-door surveys? Maybe its a good question add to a sample
of the surveys?

Currently the areas in most need - ones that we'll probably get around
to last are Worcester Park/North Cheam and North/West Sutton. My
immediate aims is the cul-de-sac maze of Roundshaw, fix the remanants
of incomplete roads from the Hackbridge party to the north of
Carshalton, and to complete a few bits I missed from the tagging up of
east Sutton.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood