[Talk-GB] Greetings and hello GARMIN users -OpenMapSourceanyone ?

Stephen Wing swinguk at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:12:50 GMT 2008

On 21/02/2008, Mike Paley <GPS at pmailkeey.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Am I right in assuming that this 'Garmin' mapping data will be copyright
> free and freely downloadable? Apart from OSM mapping data, will you take
> it
> direct from Garmin users in GDB format ?

The Garmin data is derived from the OSM mapping data, and hence will have
the same CC-BY-SA license attached to it.  Our current plan is that we will
have a free version that can be downloaded by registered users (no charge to
register), although we will also be offering a number of addon services with
small charges for those that want them.  One planned chargeable option, for
example, is supplying the OSM mapping data on a pre-programmed SD card.
However, we are committed to OSM, and have already agreed that a percentage
of all charges will be donated straight back to OSM.

We can't take data direct in GDB format, as we are taking all data (and the
license model) direct from OSM; if you've got additional data that's not
already in OSM, we'd recommend you upload and process the data using one of
the OSM tools, and this data will naturally get picked up in our next
update.

Thanks,

Steve