[Talk-GB] Lake District mapping event II

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 20:05:48 GMT 2008

Hello everyone,

Following a weekend I spent up there with the family just now (too wet,
windy and icy to do high level walks sadly, but I mapped some valley
footpaths meaning the Langdale area is pretty complete now) I'd like to
propose another summer outdoors mapping event, returning to the Lake
District following last year's successful event.
I propose moving west to the Borrowdale/Buttermere area this year, to
cover an area still not present on OSM, including the well known peaks of
Great Gable, Pillar, High Stile and Haystacks and the surrounding valley
areas. This is on a bus route to Keswick allowing possible coverage of
that area too. This area together with last year's
Grasmere-Ambleside-Langdale focus will mean that the most popular core
areas of the Lakes will have very good coverage.
I'd propose any time June 15th to July 10th - any earlier than that I
(Nick W) will be unavailable, and any later will be peak holiday season so
expensive, crowded and hard to get accommodation. An alternative time
would be late September, though my own preferences would be for early
summer.
 I'd like to hold it well away from the proposed Wales event so people
hopefully can attend both. Steve - any ideas when this might be?
As soon as I know my exact work commitments (these are unknown at this
stage) I will decide on an exact week. (like last year it'll be a
weekend/week event so people can either come for the weekend or stay the
whole week). This *may* be the first week in July if things are as they
were last year, but no guarantees.

Nick