[Talk-GB] Bluetooth GPS Reccomendations?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Mar 28 13:52:36 GMT 2008

In message <1206711529.6125.9.camel at statler.passback.co.uk>
        Keith Sharp <kms at passback.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm in the market got a Bluetooth GPS for use with my new laptop,
> features I'm looking for:
>
> - Bluetooth GPS, SIRF-III receiver.
> - Works with Linux (Fedora 8).
> - Rechargable battery, draws power and charges over USB.
> - GPS data available by USB as well as Bluetooth.
> - Can be purchased in the UK.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

NaviGPS BGT-11 will do all that except it is SiRF II. In my experience
it often manages better than my other unit which is SiRF III though. You
do have to be careful what SD card you use though.

It comes with a USB cable that it can charge via, and also with a
three pin plug with a USB port in and a car adapter with a USB port
which you then use with the same cable (both also useful with other
devices that can be charged via USB!).

I believe it passes NMEA over the USB link when not in NaviLink
mode (ie by default) and linux will recognise it as a PL2303 serial
device and you can use it as /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatever.

The next gpsbabel release will have support for the NaviLink protocol
if you want to upload/download waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

The BGT-31 is due soon I believe, and that is SiRF III.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/