[Talk-GB] When is a B road still a B road?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun May 4 12:30:27 BST 2008

>I know I'm interested in maps, GPS and 'old roads' - for the likes of
>'Blackie', to me, the A47 still goes from Birmingham to Great Yarmouth
(via
>villages like Leicester) and whether you take the old road through Aston
>University, along Alum Rock Rd or take the newer A47 route past St Mark's
>Church and the end of Drews Lane or the current route along the 'spine
>road'. After all, OS maps still show the paths of Roman roads !

It's interesting looking at the historical road network. One thing I found
out about 2 months ago was that the nearest A road to the village I used
to live in between the ages of 5 and 7 (the A50 and High Legh, Cheshire)
used to go almost to London, joining the A5 somewhere near Luton. I've
always known it as only going as far as somewhere like Rugby or Nuneaton
(I forget the exact terminating point) ever since I became aware of road
maps.

Nick