[Talk-GB] London Calling

Mon May 5 18:36:56 BST 2008

Thomas Wood wrote:

> Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>> I have this really cool, unambiguously out-of-copyright map of London
>> with street names.
> [...]
> There's also one linked from [[London]], thats already been scanned
> and tile-ified.

Indeed, that's a scan of one of my maps too. :)

Two differences with the new one. a) it's more recent, b) it's ex-Crown
Copyright and hence unambiguously out of copyright.

The previously scanned one is from a commercial firm of cartographers
in the 1930s and whether it's actually o-o-c or not depends on
researching the particular cartographers who worked on it, and their
death dates! It was scanned when our (collective) understanding of
copyright was a bit less nuanced... I wouldn't recommend anyone uses it
now.

cheers
Richard