[Talk-GB] Cycling between capitals

Thu May 15 16:28:17 BST 2008

Just a quick note to observe that you can now use the OSM cycle map to
travel between the three capitals of Great Britain, give or take a
very few 100-yard lacunae:

- London-Edinburgh via NCN4 (->Reading), NCN5 (->Lichfield), NCN54
(->Derby), NCN68 (->near Berwick), NCN1

- London-Cardiff via NCN4 (->Chepstow), NCN48 (->Hay-on-Wye), NCN8...
of course, we could probably make this a bit shorter by mapping NCN4
between Newport and Pontypridd :)

And the connected map also reaches to Bodmin, Dover, Holyhead,
Gloucester, Brighton, Glasgow, even Newton Stewart in Dumfries &
Galloway - not to mention all those mapped sections of NCN we've not
yet connected to the "spine". (It'd be great to get NCN51 finished.)

A really outstanding achievement, and I'm sure after a summer's worth
of cycling it'll be better still.

cheers
Richard