[Talk-GB] Cycling between capitals

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:43:45 BST 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 3:20 PM, OJ W <ojwlists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Would it be worth including the cycle map as a layer on the front-page map?

It's a request I've heard from a few people, but I don't know what
everyone else thinks of the idea.

* It's not got global coverage. Not by a long way. I do my best to
render everywhere that people might look at, but there's only 20 GB of
tiles and it's very heavily skewed towards the UK and even London. I
bet some people would complain.
* It would work better if it ran with mod_tile, so that anywhere could
be rendered on the fly. But it doesn't. Not yet, anyway.
* It can't handle contours for the whole world without a
MegaServerOfDoom. It's only the lack of global coverage that means I
can get away with it :-)
* It might open the floodgates as everyone clamours for their custom
map to go on the front page
* If we were to put it on the front page today, I'm not sure if my
server would survive. It's doing fine, but I just don't know how much
traffic osm.org would throw at it.

In saying that, I think the cycle map explains better than any
catchphrase exactly why OpenStreetMap is way better than anything else
out there, and it's also a really cool and useful map in itself. So I
wouldn't be opposed to it if other people want it to happen.

Cheers,
Andy