[Talk-GB] Some thoughts

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Wed Sep 3 15:48:09 BST 2008

I often consult map features to work out which I should be using. Perhaps with a bit more practice I'll know them all. But for consistency and to help new users (I count myself in that group), would it be an idea to have say a UK page in the wiki showing how common street signs translate into tags, perhaps based on those in the back of the highway code? I don't know if there is even a consistent way of tagging road speeds - I think map features mentions the speed is in km/h, and a recent discussion in OSM-Talk suggests perhaps in the UK we could use:
"maxspeed:mph=50 (or maxspeed=50mph)"

Some of the signs are easy (e.g. max weight 7.5t), but some aren't so easy - I'm not sure for example how to tag "No motor vehicles" (the red circle with motorbike and car on) with a white sign underneath "Except for access". Or "No vehicles" (except for access). Both of which I've found in Clacton in the last couple of days. To be honest I had to look up the "No Vehicles" one as it's been a while since I'd seen one. I think the Highway Code says you're allowed to push bicycles on such a way...

Anybody feel up to the challenge? As I understand the tagging it would be more of a guide to accepted practice, rather than dictating right from wrong.

Ed