[Talk-GB] Cycle lane in one direction only

Tue Sep 30 21:57:24 BST 2008

Dave Stubbs wrote:
> There are cases you have to know whichever scheme you use. Left/right
> works for renderers, but is no use for routers, and forward/backward
> works for routers, but not for renderers.

Yep. Just remarked to that effect.

I'd say foo:ontheleftoftheway is a better way of representing something
than foo:goingforward (w.r.t. the way again) because it frees renderers
of having to know what side of this way people drive on.

Routing software is more smartypants by nature, and is where the corner
case and the extra logic addressing it ought to reside.

Consider that most applications need to do some rendering; comparatively
few will need to do routing. So a simpler implementation of rendering
makes more people happy than a simpler implementation for routing. Go
Utilitarianism!

The downside of foo:left_wrt_way is that sometimes you need to specify
the directionality of foo too. Luckily the existing cycleway stuff has
cycleway=opposite_* already.

--
Andrew Chadwick

--