[Talk-GB] "designation" and "designated" tags - support in renderers?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:24:55 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Nick Whitelegg
<Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm planning to do a wholesale conversion of all my surveyed footpaths,
> bridleways etc to use the "designation" (designation=public_footpath,
> designation=public_bridleway etc) or "designated" (foot=designated,
> horse=designated) etc, and at the same time convert all my
> highway=footway/bridleway/byway to highway=path/track/service/residential
> (as applicable).
>
> However before doing this I want to make sure the renderers support them.

The cyclemap doesn't, as has been stated already. It doesn't recognise
much of the "complex" tagging e.g. highway=footway + horse=yes or
suchlike.

> e.g. highway=path,designation=public_bridleway OR
> highway=path,foot=designated,horse=designated should show as dashed green
> lines in Mapnik, just as highway=bridleway is.
>
> If I contributed some Mapnik rules for this would people be willing to
> incorporate them in the main Mapnik renderer?

I lean towards osmosis TagTransform plugin rules, to keep everything
downstream simpler and renderer-independant. If, for example, I
decided that highway=cycleway was equivalent to highway=path,
cycleway=designated then I don't want to restate that equivalence four
or five times in the mapnik rules. And whichever ruleset I came up
with I'd like to use on my mkgmap setup too.

Cheers,
Andy