[Talk-GB] Estimating coverage

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:15:57 BST 2009

2009/8/4 Peter Reed <peter.reed at aligre.co.uk>

> Meanwhile, there is a nice map on the French Openstreetmap page showing
> coverage of French Communes
> http://files.meurisse.org/osm/2009/communes-20090801.png
>
> I can read French a little, and I have tried to make out the background
> from the Talk FR pages. See “Avancement des communes” in
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/2009-April/thread.html
>
> As far as I can see, this map is plotting the extent to which boundaries
> have been plotted at the level of a French Commune (i.e- local government
> boundaries, not roads).
>

> My French really isn’t up to asking more in the TALK-FR lists, so I’d be
> interested in any more information from the UK. Can anyone help?

What would like to know? The thread you are pointing is updated monthly with
new statistics. The boundaries that we have is based from the Cadastre which
is a database that is owned by the tax office. We cannot incorporate data
directly, but we were given authorization to trace from it.
It is giving us access to name of streets, municipal boundaries, and
buildings.
The data is not yet completely vectorized, and adding a new commune is not
that easy even if we have programs to help. We know how much work is done
because we also have access to administrative information from the INSEE. It
is possible then to check which commune has been properly added against the
list of the INSEE. It is not perfect but it works globally well.

Emilie Laffray