[Talk-GB] Sand Bar

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Aug 5 14:28:07 BST 2009

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Peter Childs wrote:

> How to I tag a Sand Bar that extends 50meters in the sea at low tide
> and disappears at High Tide. Its called "The Street" and its in
> Tankerton, Kent. Uk
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=0.2519539&minlat=51.2615685&maxlon=0.6075064&maxlat=51.5630983&box=yes

What I have tended to do around the beaches of Gower is to mark the
non-tidal bit of the beach and the tidal bit as separate polygons, setting
a "waterway=tidal" tag on the tidal bit.

e.g. http://osm.org/go/euMTH1gJ--?layers=B000FTTT

The Worm's Head tidal causeway is the same:
http://osm.org/go/euG5vJYH-?layers=B000FTTT

Of course, it currently renders as beach, so some tweaks to the Mapnik
template might be nice.

> Is there some way to place brake waters, onto the map, (ie wooden
> structures that stop the sand/pebbles moving down the beech)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Harbour suggests man_made=breakwater
Also see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Breakwater

  - Steve