[Talk-GB] Liam123 alert!

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Aug 5 14:39:56 BST 2009

On 5 Aug 2009, at 14:28, Andy Allan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Peter Miller<peter.miller at itoworld.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Can I suggest that you (David) immediately add this to the GB Revert
>> Request log (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/
>> GB_revert_request_log) , send Liam123 asking him to stop and forward
>> the revert request to Andy Allan requesting a revert. Please can no-
>> one revert any of Lian123's edits in the mean time and leave these to
>> be done by Andy Allen.
>
> Reverted. I know the policy on reverts is that it's best to contact
> the person first, but I'm exempting myself from this policy in
> Liam123's case and if anyone wants to complain about my behaviour then
> fair enough.
>
> I did send an after-the-fact message to him, text is below. Apart from
> what I mention there was a smattering of nodes moved around in various
> places, given the lack of imagery I'm of the opinion it's mindless
> tinkering rather than useful edits. It's hard to validate whether
> there's legitimate work in amongst it; it's also worth if anyone has
> the time checking that the revert handled everything properly.

Thanks Andy,

After the chaos he has caused I think we can reasonably that we assume
that his contributions are unhelpful unless or until we see some
useful work coming in. I suggest it is only necessary to check one
node of a way and is clearly wrong before reverting the changeset and
also that you can trust a known established contributor who requests a
revert saying that it is vandalism.

We still do, of course, need some better industrial-strength tools to
deal with this sort of problem - imagine a clever robot based 'chaos
generator' using multiple sign-ins and doing random edits around the
planet - we are just not ready to deal with that sort of thing.
Liam123 still has many edits still in place that we just don't have
the time to fix manually.

By way of comparison this is the sort of thing that Wikipedia has
available to deal with vandalism:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Twinkle/doc

And this is only one of many tools used to monitor contributions and
speed up the process of recovering from problematic edits.

Regards,

Peter