[Talk-GB] A13 and NCN13 getting muddled?

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Aug 7 08:02:45 BST 2009

On 7 Aug 2009, at 00:06, Mark Williams wrote:

> Peter Miller wrote:
>> This is the A13 and it in the  ncn13 relation which I think is wrong
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/23406798
>>
>> Any thoughts? Anyone fancy following it up?
>>

> Actually no, the NCN13 route _IS_ down the A13! Bizarre but true..
>
> It skips off for the flyover at Gallows Corner in Romford & maybe
> one or
> two other side jaunts, but basically you're on the A13 from quite well
> into London (East Ham or so) until Basildon, there are occasional red
> stickers to prove it & a marked cycle lane on the A13, complete with
> 3-lane dual carriageways & national speed limits.
>
> You get crossing places marked at the slip roads, not usually with NCN
> stickers just white paint.
>
> I have seen the occasional cyclist mad enough to use it too!
>
> I'm not absolutely certain of the routing onto the A13 at the Basildon
> end, as it just might go down Southend Road Corringham into
> Stanford, at
> least one way, but I think it doesn't. It does cross over the A13 to
> Southend road on a bridge, One Tree Hill, but then could back-track to
> 8-Bells roundabout, or do the Southend Road route, the signs peter out
> just where they might be useful.
>
> I wondered about this before I tagged it but I double-checked it,
> because it seemed so daft, and the signs, as they say, were there.

I have cycled sections of the NCN13 from about Dagenham Dock into
London. There is a cycle path on the side of the road (often
segregated by a small bump kerb and the path is on both sides of the
2-4 lanes in each direction) and so in that way it is quite safe. Not
cycled further west though. Where I have the data I have been trying
to get the parallel cycle path added to OSM as whoever added the ncn
13 to begin with just added it to the trunk road's main carriage way
and even I really wouldn't want to cycle along the A13 for any great
distance! Also the way that you join from side roads can be a little
different in many places.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos to hand of that section.

Shaun