[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way

Godfrey Bartlett Godfrey at qichina.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 15:02:11 BST 2009

Hi,

Some advice would be appreciated.

My main interest in OSM is attempting to map public rights of way in the
countryside such as bridleways and footways. I have read advice that a
way such as a cycleway should only be mapped if someone else can verify
its existence somehow – such as physical signs on the route. However, as
anyone knows who has tried to follow footpaths in the countryside, many
PROWs have no visible presence at certain times of the year – after
ploughing or sometimes through fields of tall wheat or rapeseed. There
are often no field edge markers which indicate which route you are
supposed to take. If you are lucky, those who have gone before will have
started to make a trail across a newly planted crop, which then tends to
become the accepted route for that part of the footpath. Very often
walkers consult their Ordnance Survey map before they strike out across
an unmarked field, although the OS map may not be up to date with the
legally-binding Definitive Map held by the County Council.

So hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. I want to represent
ways with a legitimate “foot=yes” tag. In the absence of signposts, in
practice the guide for UK walkers is the OS map, but if I walk a route
which I believe follows the OS map for the purposes of a GPS trace, is
this not using derived-data? Many people will walk round field-edges
where they find the PROW blocked by impenetrable crops – but the
arbitray nature of this clearly makes it unsuitable for OSM. If you
don't map bits of a footpath because of lack of signposts, then
foot-routes between villages etc lose their function as a route, and
become disconnected isolated snippets of path, which seems to me pretty
pointless mapping.

Is there a solution to this?

User: Qichina