[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way

Glenn Proctor glenn at docproc.com
Mon Aug 17 13:28:00 BST 2009

Following on from this, am I correct in assuming that the only
definitive source of mapping information about public rights of way is
the OS? It seems ludicrous that *public* rights of way are effectively
copyrighted in this manner. I suppose it's analagous to the issue with
council boundaries.

My local council (Suffolk) refer to the "definitive map" here:
https://www.csduk.com/CSD/Transportandstreets/Public+rights+of+way/PublicRightsOf+WayDefinitiveMap.htm

but make no mention of who owns the copyright. They do however
recommend (OS) Explorer maps for walkers, which suggests it may be the
OS.

Wouldn't it be great if we could persuade councils to let OSM use the
information, free of restrictions? Or maybe even add it to OSM
themselves. Hey, we can all dream ...

Glenn.