[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Aug 17 13:40:58 BST 2009

On 17/08/2009 13:28, Glenn Proctor wrote:
> Following on from this, am I correct in assuming that the only
> definitive source of mapping information about public rights of way is
> the OS? It seems ludicrous that *public* rights of way are effectively
> copyrighted in this manner. I suppose it's analagous to the issue with
> council boundaries.
>
> My local council (Suffolk) refer to the "definitive map" here:
> https://www.csduk.com/CSD/Transportandstreets/Public+rights+of+way/PublicRightsOf+WayDefinitiveMap.htm
>
> but make no mention of who owns the copyright. They do however
> recommend (OS) Explorer maps for walkers, which suggests it may be the
> OS.
>
> Wouldn't it be great if we could persuade councils to let OSM use the
> information, free of restrictions? Or maybe even add it to OSM
> themselves. Hey, we can all dream ...

What's the copyright situation with looking at an OS definitive map to
see where a ROW goes, then walking it with a GPS and using the traces to
apply the path to OSM? Has any copying or infringement occurred?

As well as the master maps, I'm, also thinking about the ones you
occasionally come across posted at stiles where they are publicising a
proposed change (and often these notices have a textual description too,
though often in terms like "a point 60m north-east of the point marked A
on the map" etc).

David