[Talk-GB] District Boundaries - N Wales

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Aug 17 21:09:26 BST 2009

I have completed the following relations for Unitary Authority
Boundaries and put them in the Wales Wiki : Wrexham (137981), Flintshire
(198566) and Denbighshire (192442). Now some inevitable questions:

1. How should Flintshire and Denbighshire be completed out at sea? On
the Wales Wiki it says "The current Wales Boundary (08 July 2009) is
both wrong and unhelpful." So I guess I should not be using that.
Currently Unitary Authority boundary lines go out to sea traced from the
NPE, but they do not join up with any coastal boundary. As it happens in
this part of NE Wales, nobody seems to have made the coastline (high
water mark?) ways to be members of the national boundary relation,
although that has been done for about 70% of the welsh coastline.

2. In putting together the relations for these boundaries I found myself
splitting a lot of roads and streams into relatively short sections so
that I could then make these sections members of the boundary relation.
Is this recognised good practice, or is it better to make a separate
boundary way which simple shares nodes with the relevant stream or road
etc ?

3. In doing all this I have used the NPE layer which can be used as a
backdrop in josm and potlatch. I have realised that this NPE is not the
same NPE as can be found in other places (eg the postcode collection
application at http://www.npemap.org.uk/).   The latter is clearer than
the  tiles in josm and potlatch especially regarding parish boundaries
(which you find yourself tracing) which are nice dotted lines in the
postcode application and faded grey lines in the josm/patlatch layers.
Can the clearer (newer?) tiles be made available in the osm editing
environments ?

Thanks

Bogus Zaba