[Talk-GB] English chapter

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 18 12:31:42 BST 2009

Arguably, even a central England chapter is too big in some respects. We set
up mappa-mercia.org to promote and "represent" ourselves in the West
Midlands area because it's much easier to get local press and bodies
interested in working with us if we are seen as a local entity. This is
starting to bear fruit as we have been successful in engaging with
Birmingham City Council and others.

I think those that have done similar things very much on their own in their
own home towns also works well. David's work in Cambridge being a prime
example.

Thus the importance is people. These things only work and take off if
individuals alone or together want to make it happen and push it on. The
local chapter really isn't needed unless it needs support beyond its own
means. For example in our case shortly to provide an invoice to a sponsor,
which we will need to do through OSMF to channel the funds. It would be
better to do that through a local chapter in the long run and one for the UK
is more than sufficient in my view.

Thus while I'm in support of a UK chapter (which could in reality perhaps
simply be a subsidiary of the OSMF Ltd company probably) that represents UK
interests, I don't see the benefit of spitting it down further except as we
have in an informal manner as the wish arises locally.

Cheers

Andy