[Talk-GB] English chapter

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:22:15 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Jonathan Bennett <
openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:

> Nick Black wrote:
>
> > So far as the structure goes, I had thought that one GB org could work,
> > if it had a series of user groups associated with it.  The GB Chapter
> > could handle GB issues, raising funds to help support national and user
> > group activities, perhaps running a GB website, lobbying the UK
> > government to release data (!), and generally promoting OSM throughout
> > the GB area.  The user groups would be focussed on a more local area (eg
> > Greater London) and would be affiliated (loosely or more closely) to the
> > GB Chapater.
>
> All those activities are ones we want to see, but is there anything
> about them that requires a separate legal entity to OSMF? I'm worried
> that we'd be creating extra bureaucracy unnecessarily.
>
> Can you explain the specific benefits of having both OSMF and OSMF-GB?

Focus.  OSM-F focuses on global issues, OSMF-GB focusses on local / national
issues.  This is just an idea, but I think are two quite different sets of
responsibilities, that should actually reduce the bureaucracy for the local
/ national group.

OSM-F

* Licensing
* Monitoring data inputs
* Global outreach and partnering
* Annual OSM-wide conferences like SOTM
* Legal frameworks
* Owning core API servers
* Global membership

OSM-F Local

* Local community building and outreach
* Local / national conferences
* Local / national press contacts & outreach
* Supporting local user groups in mapping and outreach
* Running local websites
* Local membership schemes

--
Nick