[Talk-GB] Fw: English chapter

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Aug 18 19:16:19 BST 2009

Chris Hill <chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk>
18/08/2009 17:08

Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>
cc
talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
Subject
Re: [Talk-GB] English chapter

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>>>What is the point  of local chapters in England?  We don't have
language

>>>conversion issues, currency issues or time zone issues.

Cheers, Chris

>>One need would be to organise and coordinate local mapping. For
instance,
>>in my area (the "Solent" area or "central southern England" for want of
>>better word) a goal to work towards might be to get all towns done, or
>>map local national parks / recreational areas e.g. the New Forest or
South
>>Downs.

Nick

>This just feels horribly like a layer of bureaucracy to me.  Why would
the foundation want to get involved with organising local mapping?  I
certainly >don't need some "official" body to prod me into completing an
area.

>Cheers, Chris
That wasn't my intention, it was more local social/organisational groups
etc. It wasn't  intended to be an "official" body, more like a local user
group, along with promoting use by local business, etc. It's certainly not
my intention to be bureaucratic, but without  county / region level user
or advocacy groups, takeup will remain stubbornly slow I expect.

At the moment it's more or less myself alone mapping the New Forest
National Park. If we had a local group, promoting the goal of mapping the
New Forest NP and crucially promoting the value of OSM data to people who
could *use* the data, then OSM could take off round here a lot faster than
it is doing at the moment.

Nick