[Talk-GB] waterway=construction

WessexMario wessexmario-osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 16:46:49 BST 2009

Hi James,
I added that a while back when I first started using OSM, there were a
few considerations I had then which I now realise aren't the 'OSM way'.

I wanted to map the whole route of the canal which, as you are probably
aware, is being restored,
As the canal has been disused for 100 years, it's mostly tagged as
'Derelict' which does render appropriately.
In some places it's very difficult to see, but the signs are there if
you know what to look for,  For example, leaving Abingdon to the west is
a short derelict section next to a track that only the initiated would
realise is an old canal and not a road-side ditch, in other places you
can tell the route because the crops lying over are slightly different..
(The clay canal bed although buried, traps water and affects the
overlying vegetation compared to the surroundings)

As there are few instances of tags for "abandoned canal in the process
of being restored" and if there were they usually don't render.  I chose
the "disused=yes,tunnel =yes" for the rendering, rather than the
actuality, as there are few tags for canals that rendered at all. Now I
have a bit more experience with tagging, I realise I shouldn't have
tagged for the renderer, but for what is actually there.

I'll go through that stretch of the canal and tag it more appropriately,
removing the parts that are only proposed, and putting more appropriate
tags on the bits that are visible.

Mario