[Talk-GB] Uk Missing Major Roads.

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Aug 26 10:40:21 BST 2009

On 26 Aug 2009, at 10:08, Chris Hill wrote:

> The orange (maybe brownish) roads can be secondary, tertiary or
> unclassified.  I've compared the NPE roads to some roads that I know
> well and they cover what I would say are secondary, tertiary or
> unclassified. Secondary have reference numbers.
>
> The NPE maps are available as a background to Potlatch and you can
> zoom in a little further and trace directly over them.

For your information.... When I copied from NPE in Suffolk and Essex I
always used the highway=road;source=NPE tagging to indicate where it
came from and that it needed a local review. I wouldn't copy
references for roads (reference and classification changes) and where
the join a road that didn't exist on NPE I leave a gap between the NPE
traced road and the new road to avoid guessing if the road does or
does not join to the bypass or whatever.

Others then review the road classification and references based on
their local knowledge and change the tagging to tertiary etc.

Basically the only assumption I was making was that if there was a
road there in 1945 there is probably a road there now and it geometry
does not need to be resurveyed but everything else does need a review.
Possibly adding the review=no tag would be helpful.

Regards,

Peter