[Talk-GB] Tenfoot

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Aug 28 21:21:29 BST 2009

On 28 Aug 2009, at 20:15, Matt Williams wrote:

> 2009/8/28 Chris Hill <chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> In many towns and cities in the UK there are small ways behind rows
>> of
>> houses.  In my part of the world (Yorkshire) we know them as a
>> tenfoot
>> (they are traditionally 10 feet wide).
>>
>> I have not mapped many - they often seem private to the houses, but
>> today I did follow a couple.  I wonder how everyone else would tag
>> them.  I have tentatively tagged them as highway=alley (not yet in
>> the
>> map features) since this feels a bit more international than
>> tenfoot.  I
>> could use highway=service, I suppose they are service roads, but they
>> feel a bit different from a service road leading to a fuel station or
>> supermarket, particularly narrower and with very sharp corners around
>> buildings.
>
> Recently there's been a lot more use of
>
> highway=service
> service=<something>
>
> where <something> is driveway or parking aisle etc. Looking at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:service it seems there's a
> mention there of service=alley. I guess it could be useful for these.
> In my experience these are often used by the binman and friends since
> they offer easier access but are not supposed to be used by normal
> cars.
>
> This should differentiate these 'serviceway alleys' from the smaller 5
> foot (or so) alleyways that you can also get behind houses. I've been
> tagging those as highway=footway thus far.

I decided not to map any back alleys that didn't provide a through
route to anywhere else  - ie if a path just provided a back access to
a group of houses to get bins out etc then I left them.

How about using the key:width tag[1] to indicate the width of these
narrow features. Could be very useful for path as well which can vary
hugely and would give a clue for the renderer.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:width

Regards,

Peter