[Talk-GB] Postcode data to be free in 2010 - well not exactly.....

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Dec 9 21:42:23 GMT 2009

On 09/12/09 21:29, Peter Miller wrote:

>> *I'm sure this is old news to some of you, but...
>>
>> **http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8402327.stm
>
> Arhhh. but
>
> "Correction - Poscodes will not be free"
> http://giscussions.blogspot.com/2009/12/correction-poscodes-will-not-be-free.html

I don't think either piece really tells us what is going on. The BBC
story is essentially about the announcement made a couple of weeks ago
about the OS data, which did indeed say it would include postcode
boundary data.

So RM have denied any plan to release the PAF, but then that isn't what
was ever announced.

The real problem with the government announcement was that it talked
about the OS releasing postcode boundary data but, as far as I know, the
OS doesn't have any such data other presumably than what it has by
agreement with RM.

I suspect that the real truth of the situation is that whoever wrote the
government press release assume that the OS had the data and could be
made to release it but that one of the things the consultation will
establish is that they don't/can't.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)