[Talk-GB] Garmin maps no larger than 24MB

Glenn Proctor glenn at docproc.com
Wed Dec 30 14:42:19 GMT 2009

Hi Russ

I have a little Perl script that will create GPSMAPSUPP.IMG files
(suitable for a Garmin GPS) from arbitrary combinations of OSM tiles
and contours. It pulls OSM tiles from
http://openstreetmap.teddynetz.de:81/latest/img/ and contour tiles
from the SMC site.

If you look at http://ulrichkuester.de/OSM/CoordinateToOSMTile.html
and note the list of tile numbers you want (e.g. 63271825.img
63272005.img for the Lake District), and then at
http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php for the contour tile numbers
(e.g. 14203054.img for the Lakes) and send them to me I can run the
script for you and send you the .IMG files.

Alternatively (and for anyone else who's interested) the script itself
is at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23033/OSM/OSM2Garmin.pl - I've only
tested it on Linux but it should work anywhere you have Perl
installed. It uses sendmap (free version from
http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm) to do the actual map compilation so
you'll need that as well.

Regards

Glenn.