[Talk-GB] Garmin maps no larger than 24MB

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 30 17:21:04 GMT 2009

I have an etrex Summit HC (i.e., with no external card, and (in practice 22Mb internal storage). I load relevant tiles from the set of .IMG tiles hosted by the SMC (http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php). I use MapSource for selecting and loading relevant tiles.

There are several pre-built sets of tiles small enough for the 24 Mb limit, although the compressed MapSource distribution of Computerteddy seems to be stuck at April 2009. See the wiki page on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download. for what is available. Tiles in the range of 1-3 Mb offer the best flexibility, larger tile sizes always seem to leave one on the edge of the map!

At any one time I usually have 4 SMC contour tiles, a reasonable area of OSM mapping around where I'm located, and several transparent overlays of OSM features which I am surveying (e.g., NaPTAN bus stops, noname streets) loaded on the Garmin.

HTH,

Jerry Clough
SK53
.