[Talk-GB] Mapping the unloved and unwashed

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Feb 10 19:34:37 GMT 2009

On 10 Feb 2009, at 17:12, Brian Quinion wrote:

> Has anyone made any plans for mapping parties for any of the unloved
> north yet?  After cycling up and down the hilly climbs of Sheffield I
> quite fancy mapping somewhere flat like Lincolnshire :-)
>
> I've checked the wiki but didn't notice anything - so are their any
> unannounced plans in progress?

Should we investigate buying aerial photography for some of these un-
loved places which would allow us the capture the base road structure
and land-usage prior to any actual visit and speed things up a lot?
The photography that Mikel and eye have been sorting out for Gaza
Strip is costing $11 (£7.50) per sq km for 2 meter accuracy, 1 month
old colour images (with the associated rights to derived mapping from
them).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Palestine_Gaza

Taking Grimsby as an example, it comes out at some 80 sq km (possibly
significantly less) which to a total of £600. Lincoln seems a lot
smaller, say 25 sq km? which means it would cost under £200. If we do
this then I think it will be a lot more feasible to do a whole place
in a single weekend which could be a lot more fun and allow us to tick
places off with some speed!

I would suggest that a we create an initial 'shopping list' coming to
a total of about £5,000 would be a good start (for Gaza we raised the
required £4K in about 10 days).

I can think of two potential charitable partners who would make it
possible to accept charitable donations for such a UK project and also
a bunch of social funds that could be approached for financial support.

If we feel that 2 meter photography is not good enough then we could
consider 50cm photography for $12-$25 or even 50cm stereo pairs at $50
per sq km :) Here is some more detail about what is available from the
new GeoEye Satellite
https://www.swiftpage6.com/speasapage.aspx?X=2Y0QTEPLHQNJ6RT800ZVW7

There are restrictions on public access to this imagery so the imagery
would need to be served from something with some restrictions on the
total number of people who can access it (an approved list on
contributors). Simone is sorting stuff out for Gaza and might be able
to provide more details in due course.

Thinking ahead,  should be set up an Aerial photography team who sort
out the purchasing and hosting of commercial photography as and when
required?

Regards,

Peter Miller