[Talk-GB] [Talk-gb-thenorth] Mapping the unloved and unwashed

LeedsTracker leedstracker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 02:07:02 GMT 2009

2009/2/10 Brian Quinion <openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk>:
>> Should we investigate buying aerial photography for some of these un-loved
>> places which would allow us the capture the base road structure and
>> land-usage prior to any actual visit and speed things up a lot?
> Please, please NO!
>
> Mapping an area after it has been traced is:
>
> a) almost as much work as without the tracing (you still have to go
> down each road to look for missed features)
> b) very unsatisfying because it doesn't look like you have achieved anything

Just wanted to follow up on this point.

I've been mapping bits around Warrington recently using Yahoo imagery,
as there is no coverage around areas I know, and there are big rural
areas round there with little mapped.

Do others feel the same as Brian? I could understand why.

For now I'm leaving roads alone and adding fields, woodland, streams
etc via Yahoo imagery as these are harder to map by GPS survey.

cheers,
LT