[Talk-GB] Address, post code data base

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 17:30:12 GMT 2009

Hi,

> I ran a little script against the data base of planning applications of Islington Council and ended up with around 16,500 address. Around 6,500 of them are relatively old and only have the first part of the post code. After tidying the data little and removing dupes, this still leaves 10,000 Islington addresses with a fully qualified post code, available in a plain text file for your perusal.
> So I was wondering if others have done the same for their area, and how to best share this data. Has anybody experimented with address data bases yet? Is there a preferred file format? Is there a drop-off point anywhere?

I've got a set of scripts that parse and try and match/import the data
to a seperate postcode database.  The plan was to make it available as
a combination geo-coding service and bulk data upload.

The command line scripts are mostly working and produce quite usable
results most of the time but I had a large project turn up at work
before I could quite finish it or get the public interface written.
That's just coming to an end now so I was expecting to get back to it.
 Relevant thread here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/talk-gb@openstreetmap.org/msg01291.html

My feeling was that this data was best kept in a seperate database
because it might not be that accurate (multiple streets with same
name) and in case of any copyright problems - I was going to make it
available as a seperate download like NPE / Postboxes / etc.

I'd love a copy of your data to try feeding into the code I've got -
could you email it / let me have a copy? Might encourage me to get it
finished :-)

Cheers,
--
 Brian