[Talk-GB] Address, post code data base

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Feb 24 19:46:51 GMT 2009

On 24/02/2009 16:51, Axel Jacobs wrote:
> I ran a little script against the data base of planning applications
> of Islington Council and ended up with around 16,500 address. ...

> So I was wondering if others have done the same for their area, and
> how to best share this data. Has anybody experimented with address
> data bases yet? Is there a preferred file format? Is there a drop-off
> point anywhere?

I think the first thing is to get permission from Islington to use it. I
suspect if you look at the legal info on their site they will claim
copyright over the contents, so by gathering this data you are probably
infringing copyright. The individual bits of data may be facts, and
therefore not copyrightable, but the collection as a whole is subject to
database copyright and can't (or probably can't, but that means can't so
far as OSM is concerned) be used.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

David