[Talk-GB] NCN51 Milton Keynes (was: Re: Sustrans long-distance routes)

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 10:46:06 GMT 2009

2009/1/7 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
> OJ W wrote:
>
>> I think the really big message from our day trying to find NCN51 was:
>> please let people know when the route stops.  If some blue sign really
>> is the *last* blue sign for 10 miles (e.g. through Cranfield which
>> isn't signposted from the east either) then have a sign to say 'this
>> is the end of our signage' and preferably display a map to show people
>> how to reach the next section of NCN route.
>
> Agreed absolutely. We had the same experience in Newport on Saturday
> and spent probably 60-90 minutes hunting for the way through,
> including a fruitless excursion up a pretty steep hill. Turns out it's
> probably the only lacuna in several hundred miles of Route 4
> (Carmarthen might be another, but that's to be fixed as part of
> Connect2).
>
> It doesn't help that local councils like to put up signs saying "End
> of cycle route", which doesn't actually mean "End of NCN route" at
> all, but rather "End of a particular bit of pavement/track/whatever".

No, those signs mean, "Well done for following our green paint. As
your reward we will now deposit you in the most inconvenient place
imaginable and ask you to dismount, or alternatively suggest a 90
degree turn into oncoming traffic."

Usually found as part of the scheme where if a road/pavement happens
to be wide enough they'll paint a bit of it green, and stop people
from parking on the green bits for more than an hour (if you're
lucky).

Dave