[Talk-GB] Locating postboxes - any photos around?

Andy Robinson ajrlists at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 08:59:16 GMT 2009

LeedsTracker wrote:
> Apologies for cross-posting, and sorry if you already knew about this.
> I searched talk-gb via Google and found nothing, and this was new to
> me until a few days ago.
>
> A nifty project that uses OSM to locate postboxes:
> http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/
>
> If Royal Mail won't provide a map, then OSM and Dracos' project could
> do so in time, which could be useful PR for OSM.
>
> Quote: "The Royal Mail supplied a list of every postbox's location –
> unfortunately, it did not have useful co-ordinates, only postcodes or
> sub-postcodes and some textual data. So I wrote this site: look up the
> postboxes near you by entering the first half of your postcode, locate
> one whose location you know on the map, pick which postbox you've
> located, and submit. The pages also include postbox last collection
> times, if we know them."
>
> Even handier:
> "You can add postboxes and their references to OSM – use a key of ref,
> and this site will automatically pick them up every week or so."
>
> I tend to map with a camera and take photos of the front plate of
> postboxes where possible. The reference needed is at the bottom of the
> plate, e.g. LS1 258
>
> Hope this prompts a few more to join in! 6,654 postboxes located so far...
>
> cheers,
> LT

Yes, I've been associating the majority of the post boxes in North
Birmingham with Matthew's dracos site for a bit. In doing so I've found
that a few I don't have because they are collection points associated
with post offices and sorting offices (no box to get the reference from)
and one or two that for some reason don't show up on Matthews site
despite being in the OSM db.

Cheers

Andy