[Talk-GB] Locating postboxes - any photos around?

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 11:21:19 GMT 2009

LeedsTracker wrote:
> Apologies for cross-posting, and sorry if you already knew about this.
> I searched talk-gb via Google and found nothing, and this was new to
> me until a few days ago.
>
> A nifty project that uses OSM to locate postboxes:
> http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/
>
> If Royal Mail won't provide a map, then OSM and Dracos' project could
> do so in time, which could be useful PR for OSM.
>
> Quote: "The Royal Mail supplied a list of every postbox's location –
> unfortunately, it did not have useful co-ordinates, only postcodes or
> sub-postcodes and some textual data. So I wrote this site: look up the
> postboxes near you by entering the first half of your postcode, locate
> one whose location you know on the map, pick which postbox you've
> located, and submit. The pages also include postbox last collection
> times, if we know them."
>
> Even handier:
> "You can add postboxes and their references to OSM – use a key of ref,
> and this site will automatically pick them up every week or so."
>
> I tend to map with a camera and take photos of the front plate of
> postboxes where possible. The reference needed is at the bottom of the
> plate, e.g. LS1 258
>
> Hope this prompts a few more to join in! 6,654 postboxes located so far...
>
> cheers,
> LT

I too have been chasing post boxes based on the Royal Mail list.  I have
completed some of the Dracos links,.  If you do gather any references
you should add then to OSM yourself, Dracos is rightly not updating the
OSM DB with the data added to his site.  The locations are sometimes
very obscure: Blog
<http://chris-osm.blogspot.com/2009/01/postbox-orienteering.html>

I think it's a great way of improving the detail in an area - I've
always found more stuff to add than just post boxes

Cheers, Chris