[Talk-GB] Event: "A New Cycle Map for Oxford", 22nd January 2009

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 15:04:30 GMT 2009

What happened to Oxford University using OpenStreetMap?

They still have it live (without attribution):
http://www.ox.ac.uk/applications/dynamic/map.rm?location=Trinity%20College&id=486&postcode=OX2+6UD
But the college pages link to a google maps implementation:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/colleges_and_halls_az/trinity.html

2009/1/16 Andrew Chadwick (email lists) <andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org>

> I'm giving a talk for Cyclox members telling them about OpenStreetMap on
> the coming Thursday, handing out pencil-and-paper mapping packs with
> SAEs. Given that we already have all of the streets, pretty much, we can
> hopefully get the Cyclox people to tell us about all the cheats,
> shortcuts and useful infrastructure that they know and we don't (yet).
>
>  http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1495928/
>  West Oxford Community Centre. Quite near the station.
>
> It'll also be a social gathering, in the same slot as and replacing a
> regular Cyclox meetup, with pizza and pub afterwards. Free nibbles up
> front if you get there early.
>

> -- blurb --
>
> Creating a living map for Oxford's cyclists using OpenStreetMap.
>
>  Introductory presentation to OpenStreetMap
>  West Oxford Community Centre, the Marytown Room
>  22nd January 2009, arrive 6PM for 7 start
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.752591&mlon=-1.274948&zoom=16
>  Refreshments provided beforehand, 30 to 45 mins presentation and Q&A,
>  stay for pizza and an informal chat afterwards.
>
> Cyclox, the University of Oxford, and OpenStreetMap will be working
> together over the next few months to create a detailed map of the city
> that meets the needs of cyclists using a grass-roots approach. The map
> will be made by cyclists, for cyclists, and as part of the process we
> need to gather information from as wide a spectrum of Oxford cyclists as
> possible. We need a good number of volunteers interested in performing
> an active on-street survey to help us do this, so if you're interested,
> please come along to the meeting!
>
> * Cyclox is the cycling campaign group for Oxford.
> * OpenStreetMap creates and provides free geographic data such as street
> maps to anyone who wants them.
>
> --
> Andrew Chadwick

Gregory