[Talk-GB] Event: "A New Cycle Map for Oxford", 22nd January 2009

Matthew Westcott matthew at west.co.tt
Sun Jan 18 16:53:04 GMT 2009

On 18 Jan 2009, at 15:04, Gregory wrote:

> What happened to Oxford University using OpenStreetMap?
>
> They still have it live (without attribution):
> http://www.ox.ac.uk/applications/dynamic/map.rm?location=Trinity%20College&id=486&postcode=OX2+6UD
> But the college pages link to a google maps implementation:
> http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/colleges_and_halls_az/trinity.html

Hi,
This was covered on talk-gb just over a year ago...
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2007-December/thread.html#2592

In short - it was due to the availability of more accurate data (for
the markers - there was no issue with the accuracy of OSM itself) via
the OXPOINTS project <http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/oxpoints/>. The Google
map was produced as part of that project, independently of the overall
website development, and the Powers That Be elected to go with it as a
ready-made solution rather than integrating it into the OSM map.

(Incidentally, I do see an attribution on the original page - "Mapping
data provided by OpenStreetMap under an open license". That's correct
isn't it?)

- Matt