[Talk-GB] Fw: Trying to upload postbox

Jack Challen davis65536 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 21:39:05 GMT 2009

Mike wrote:
> However, it has never appeared on the OSM.  Am I doing something
> totally daft?

 Nope, you're doing exactly the right thing.

 The default view (generally called Mapnik) of the OSM data is marked for
 re-rendering (about) every Wednesday. This means there's always a delay between
 your data entry and the results being shown.

 We have other views of the data updated more often (and by request). If you
 click the little plus icon in the top right hand corner of the map, you'll see
 an option labelled "Osmarender". This view is updated much more quickly, and an
 update can be requested via http://informationfreeway.org/

 Anyway, looks like that postbox is now rendering in Mapnik:

 http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.419319939&lon=-0.167227853&zoom=18&layers=B000FTFT

 The Mapnik layer detects if a layer hasn't been redrawn since the last Wednesday
 export, and adds it to the re-render queue if it's stale.

 cheerio
 jack