[Talk-GB] How to add roundabouts?

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:18:45 GMT 2009

2009/1/28 Chris Andrew <cjhandrew at gmail.com>:
> Hi, all.
>
> New to the list.  Just wondering, some roads near me have big
> roundabouts that aren't mapped, they are just seen as converging
> roads.  I see that a tag exists to mark roundabouts (OSM Wiki), but I
> can't see how to apply it using the standard editing tool.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.
>
> --
> Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:
>
> http://www.getgnulinux.org/

Standard procedure is to draw the roadway as usual, but tag with with
junction=roundabout. (This implies oneway=yes, but you may want to add
it also). The roundabout should be drawn in the direction that traffic
shows (see the roundabout button in the bottom left of the flash
editor, or the way directions in josm).
The highway tag should take the highest value of road joining it, for
example trunk beats primary beats secondary etc..

A fairly complex example is visible at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.38444&lon=-0.189546&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

--
Regards,