[Talk-GB] Reverting all Liam123's edits

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jul 21 07:48:15 BST 2009

On 20 Jul 2009, at 22:32, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Peter Miller wrote:
>> My reasoning is firstly many of his edits are clearly just plain
>> wrong  and are certainly breaking previously good maps. Secondly
>> that he has  failed to respond to a polite message asking him for
>> an explanation.  Thirdly, given that he is not responding to
>> messages he is unlikely to  agree to the new license!
>
> I cannot say anything about #1 and #2, but #3 must not come into the
> picture. It would be absolutely wrong to judge someone's
> contribution today, even if only in an ancillary way, based on
> whether or not he is likely to agree to some new license which we're
> not even sure will ever be implemented.

That was not my point which was that there are two ways to removed
vandalism once one has determined that it is vandalism- the first is
to repair the damage by moving things back to where they should be and
re-entering the correct information in tags, the other is to revert
the data to before the person touched it. In the situation where there
is a potential license change coming up the later seems the best
approach once one has determined that it is vandalism.

Currently people are using a mixture of repairing the damage which
leaving the person in the IPR chain, and reverting ways one by one
which is slow. However... there is too much damage to efficiently do
this manually, hence my question with regard to a programatic removal
of the edits which I understand is possible.

To be clear, this person has probably damage about 1000 ways in ways
that are visible and/or damage routing. He comes back to do more work
from time to time and we are having difficulty agreeing to have it
removed.

I will ask again. Does anyone support a programatic removal of all
this person's edits? Does any object to a programatic removal of all
this person's edits. Before saying you object please check a selection
of his changes and note that some have been reverted already so might
look ok, but were not ok at the time.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/liam123/edits

Regards,

Peter