[Talk-GB] Reverting all Liam123's edits

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Jul 21 14:02:33 BST 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Chris Fleming wrote:

> It's also worth noting that if we ban him he may just go and open a new
> account and continue... at least now we know what to keep an eye on.

This is true.  But it might also draw his attention to the problem and be
the end of the matter.

Some thoughts on sensible protections which could be implemented in the
future:
1. The ability to ban a user from editing.
2. The ability to ban an IP address or range of IP addresses from editing
(this is extreme).
3. The ability to ban user creation from an IP address or range of IP
addresses.

At least (2) and (3) need to be time limited - we can't really justify
banning indefinately based on IP address.  And of course, any kind of ban
is a pretty extreme act so needs some kind of consensus that it is the
right course of action.

I also agree that it would be nice to be able to monitor an area for edits
from "untrusted" users so that both new users and vandals can be quickly
spotted (vandals so that their acts can be monitored and reverted as
appropriate, new users so that they can be helped).

  - Steve