[Talk-GB] Amenities

Jack Stringer jack.ixion at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:19:53 BST 2009

Well I have got a few replies to my e-mails to a few places. One of
which was Avon[1] & Somerset Police.

If I was to gather a the lists of places that we should be making sure
are mapped onto the maps. Should I gather these up and put them into a
database for all to see/use. I have mySQL on my website hosting so I
can put it there for now. But does anyone here able to offer me decent
advice on how to do this.

I was thinking of a table with the columns of
id - unique id to keep the database happy
amenity - the OSM amenity tag relevant to the business/location
url - website if applicable
source - so we can put that into the osm source tag
addr - all the addr tags to keep the data
node - OSM node number or what ever so we can link to it. Items
without a node are items we are still looking for.

I guess I could add all the tags that are normally tagged to an OSM
building, or should I drop that and just have a text box in which as
much info as possible can be put in.

Do I make it so if other people get data they can add it via the
website or do I ask for the data to be mailed to me and I will do it
myself?

I am confident in basic php/mysql but my skills are limited.

Jack Stringer
[1]Avon is no longer a district but it still haunts me. My house has
always been in Somerset yet they still post stuff to me with the
county of Avon.