[Talk-GB] Roundabout, ways and relationship policies

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Jul 23 09:48:10 BST 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Nicholas Barnes wrote:

> Should, for example, the component ways making up the roundabout be
> grouped in their own "I'm a roundabout" relationship?

Do we need to be able to tell which ways are part of a roundabout anyway?
I mean, on the ground a roundabout is just a one-way circular road with
some other roads coming off it - there isn't really anything special about
it that makes it a roundabout.

The only use of an explicit "I'm a roundabout" tag/relation that I can
immediately think of is to make driving directions more human-readable
(i.e. "At roundabout, take the 3rd exit").  In this case it may be better
for the data user to use some heuristic, much as we do ourselves when we
look at a piece of road.  e.g. If there is a closed (clockwise in
the UK) one-way loop with a diameter of less than X metres then consider
it a roundabout when generating human-readable driving directions.

Using this kind of heuristic would also have the advantage of setting an
application-specific upper bound to the size of a roundabout - when
roundabouts get beyond a certain size then it is probably better for
sat-navs to go back to the usual "take the next left" driving directions
instead of "take the 7th exit".

  - Steve