[Talk-GB] Roundabout, ways and relationship policies

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 12:02:59 BST 2009

>> How about this one:

>> <http://osm.org/go/0EFYMXaIH-->
>>
>> which fulfills all of the above 5 criteria, but just has a 'short-cut' across one side. In this case, each 'junction' on the roundabout is controlled by traffic lights and has between 2 and 5 lanes. I have to navigate it frequently and I >can't say it's one of my favourite ones!
>
>These aren't too dissimilar.  Although I'm curious how your example works - it looks like the "short cut" is only of use for people who have come off the southbound carrigeway of the motorway and want to get back on the >southbound carriageway - why wouldn't they just go along the motorway instead of taking the junction?  (I presume I'm missing something important about who can use the shortcut lane :)

You can use it if you come off the southbound carriageway and want to go west (or into the services), or if you approach from the west (or from the services) wanting to go South. In both cases you could also take the outer loop, although I think the signposts discourage it. I think I'm correct in saying that the shortcut was the original part of the roundabout, and the extra extension was built at a later stage to accommodate increased traffic as a result of Stansted airport just to the east.

Donald