[Talk-GB] Roundabout, ways and relationship policies

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 08:09:24 BST 2009

Greg Stark wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Steve Hill<steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
>> 1. It is one way in the appropriate direction (clockwise in the UK)
>> 2. All the roads leave/join the outside of the loop (*)
>> 3. It generally isn't very built-up in the middle (**)
>> 4. It has a reasonably circular shape (***)
>> 5. It is signposted as such
>

> Fwiw even (1) isn't necessarily true. The Magic Roundabout famously
> has a counter-clockwise loop in the centre. And there are other such
> roundabouts where the central loop isn't even one-way.

The Basildon magic roundabout is a set of small roundabouts linked by
dual-carriageway! It is legally bidirectional, except the roundabouts,
but if you come & watch at rush-hour 95%[1] of motorists sit & queue in
the conventional direction; whereas I just go the other way round it &
save 10 minutes of clutch-pumping!

Mark

[95% of all statistics are made up on the spot..]