[Talk-GB] Roundabout, ways and relationship policies

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Jul 24 08:49:01 BST 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Jack Stringer wrote:

> Why do we cut them up for the bus routes? Wouldn't it be easier to build a
> navagation app at does the calculation using all the stops as waypoints.

The resulting calculated route might not actually match the route the bus
really takes.  You might argue that it doesn't matter so long as the bus
goes via all the stops, but IMHO it is wrong since there may be reasons
for knowing the route the bus actually takes rather than just what stops
it goes via.

> Wile I have been learning to map I hate it when I have load of short ways
> (few meters to a few hundred meters). I think it looks crap I often end up
> deleting what I have done then re-drawing it.

The rendering of a way that has been chopped up should be much the same as
one that hasn't.  I suspect things like the name of the way might be
repeated too frequently if it is cut up, but that's something that should
be fixed by the data user (e.g. at the osm2pgsql stage for Mapnik
rendering) rather than flaws with the renderers restricting how data is
represented in the backend.

> KIS (Keep It Simple) is a very handy engineering term.

Unfortunately one person's simple is another's complicated. :)

  - Steve