[Talk-GB] [Spam] Re: New wiki page for GB reversion requests

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Jul 24 11:39:01 BST 2009

On 24 Jul 2009, at 11:02, WessexMario wrote:

> Preventing the problem in future:
>
> Would there be a way of putting a user like Liam123 into a sandbox?
> So that they think they're editing the map, but the updates don't get
> applied to the live map.
>
> Another method (which might be easier to implement) is to
> automatically
> detect and revert any updates made by the user a short time after
> they're made.
> Then they'll immediately see the changes, but a few minutes later they
> get reverted (and no matter how much they try, the machine will always
> keep up with them. )
> Then if they notice the reverts, maybe they'll get bored and find
> something else to do; if they don't notice the reverts, they can amuse
> themselves for as long as they like without killing OSM.
>
> If this sort of problem escalates, a method like that used on
> Wikipedia
> might be needed, with troublesome users getting a freeze on edits for
> increasing periods, maybe triggered by a threshold of reports by the
> community flagging a user as a vandal, or from a automatic detection
> of
> a user receiving a large number of reverts (say 5 from others in a
> day,
> self-reverts won't count). Some sort of 'referral/waiting period'
> might
> then be needed to prevent a users requesting new ids, along with
> originating ip address recording to prevent too many ids being
> requested
> from any one location. Another method/piece of information that
> might be
> useful is the originating ip address of edits, then if a vandal
> strikes,
> edits done by any user at the same (ip) location can be checked.

All good ideas. I like the idea of a block for 24 hours or 1 week or
whatever. Sounds much more measured that an immediate ban. The idea of
putting their edits in a separate container sounds like hard work to
me and I much prefer the temporary ban, or possibly just a note that
comes up when the person hit edit that say 'recent edits from you have
been flagged as problematic, please be aware of the rules.... '

A way of flagging a changeset at 'patent nonsense', 'possible
copyright infringement' etc with a note about why could be a good start.

We do of course still need some technical help to sort the current
mess out. Possibly we are talking about a separate tool for DB
management in OSM that can review change-sets or multiple change-sets
and conflicts. Possibly this is a function for JOSM.

Here is a tool that has evolved for management of Wikipedia content.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Twinkle/doc

Regards,

Peter