[Talk-GB] Adding unofficial cycle routes

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Jul 27 14:49:35 BST 2009

2009/7/27 James Davis <jamesd at jml.net>:
> I'd like to add some local, unoffical cycle routes to OSM but I'm not
> sure how to go about tagging the relations. They are a collection of
> commuting routes recommended by my local bicycle user group, which do in
> part use official routes but are otherwise unofficial. Would it be
> correct to tag them as..
>
> type=route
> route=bicycle
> network=lcn
> name=HarBUG Route ....

Call me stupid, But what is an "official cycle route" who makes it
official?.... Thats like saying that the M20 is the "Official Route
>From London to Dover" when many case you might be better using the
A2/M2......

In short if some local bike group have published them, then map them.
They are official to that bike User Group and perfectly good routes to
use (I guess) In short feel free to put in a relation for any
published route. So long as it either has signs and/or some documented
evidence (preferable available under a compatible license) Then map
it.

Peter.