[Talk-GB] Adding unofficial cycle routes

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Jul 27 15:35:35 BST 2009

2009/7/27 John McKerrell <john at mckerrell.net>:

> On 27 Jul 2009, at 15:02, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
>

>> Furthermore, unless the group has based its maps on OSM in the first
>> place, the chances are there will be a derived data problem -- who owns
>> the original mapping the routes were plotted against?
>>
>> If there are signposts on the route, fair enough. If not, our only
>> source of data is a copyright publication.
>
> I'm guessing this part of it wouldn't matter as you're not deriving lat/lons
> from a map, you're saying "this route goes down Church Road which is way
> 3423 in OSM, then Station Road which is way 353234 in OSM, etc.". Copyright
> issues from the group would obviously still count, unless he's got
> permission of course.
>
> John

What I think we're saying is; we don't want things on the map that are
not actually there on the ground. either via Signs or Real Things.

So a Route route round a country park marked with Purple Arrows can be
marked. But a Route on a leaflet, notice board (or website) can't be.

If you wish to put your own routes on a Blog etc then fine but don't
add them to OSM. Unless you put markers on the ground that others can
see.

Peter.