[Talk-GB] Adding unofficial cycle routes

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 15:52:24 BST 2009

Peter Childs wrote:
> What I think we're saying is; we don't want things on the map that are
> not actually there on the ground. either via Signs or Real Things.
>
> So a Route route round a country park marked with Purple Arrows can be
> marked. But a Route on a leaflet, notice board (or website) can't be.
>
> If you wish to put your own routes on a Blog etc then fine but don't
> add them to OSM. Unless you put markers on the ground that others can
> see.

That's essentially it -- please, please use OSM as the basis for your
maps, and make sure the underlying roads, paths, ways etc. are in OSM,
but as for the route itself, unless it's verifiable, it probably doesn't
 belong in the main DB. Bear in mind that it won't render on the main
map anyway, so unless you're willing to do your own map rendering, it
will be for nothing.

There is a problem in that creating your own maps should be easier, but
it's getting there.

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)